BCM Construction on Final Stretch with Feltham Re-signalling Scheme9th March 2021
In June 2019, BCM Construction Limited was awarded the Principal Contractor role for the Design and Construction of the full civil engineering scope of works for the Feltham Resignalling Project Phase 2 as well as completion of Phase 1 scope of works.
The Feltham Re-signalling area covers over 500 life expired assets on a key commuter route into London which has seen a dramatic increase of use with more than 1.2 million annual journeys, up from 0.7 million only ten years ago. Feltham area signalling dates from 1974 and it was high-time that it was replaced. Re-signalling had already been deferred and the asset condition was such that further deferment was not an option.
Having worked on this scheme for the past 18 months, Week 48 and Week 49 saw two of the busiest on the project with the completion of over £500,000 of works across the two weeks. A list of the works completed over the weeks is below:
- Construction of 2no. Under Track Crossings at Ascot Junction
- Construction of 2no. Under Road Crossings at Thorpe Lane and Egham Level Crossings
- Installation of Platform Duct Route at Virginia Water and Ascot Stations
- Progression of Star Lane LOC base
- Piling of 7no. signal bases
- Installation of 9no. Cast in situ and precast concrete foundation signal bases
- Erection of 17no. Signal structures
- Erection of 1no. Signal Gantry at Virginia Water
- Installation of over 200m of new GRP Cable Route
- Refurbishment of over 1000m of Cable Route
- Installation of 2no. Fibre joint bays
- Guardboarding installation at 5 locations
- Track monitoring for various assets across the two weeks.
The works across the two weeks were delivered by BCM Construction’s highly experienced Enable consortium with CrewIT Resourcing providing expert personnel on-site, CHS supplying the plant and Equate Design overseeing the track monitoring.
The two weeks were a huge undertaking, and we are extremely proud to say that the works were completed safely with no incidents reported and over 80 See It, Sort It, Report It, Close Calls raised to highlight areas of improvement as well as highly performing practices.
With the completion of these weeks, BCM now enter into the final stretch of the project with the project anticipated for completion in June 2021. Over the past 18 months, BCM have completed many hundreds of hours on the project and have accomplished to date over 350 separate Civils assets on this scheme.
With the project ending, we are looking forward to participating in the successful delivering of our next major scheme utilising the lessons learnt from Feltham Re-signalling Phase 2 .
- Liverpool Street Station Platform Extension GRIP 5-8 Design & Build Copy 13th November 2020